Title: 13 Things Librarians Won’t Tell You
Author:, Reader’s Digest
Full Text & Source: http://www.rd.com/advice/work-career/librarians-wont-tell-you/
The Internet, Online, 14/05/2016
1. Our most popular e-book? Fifty Shades of Grey. Everyone wanted to read it—but nobody wanted anyone else to know about it. (Here are 14 books you really should have read by now).
2. Sometimes I recommend books I haven’t read. I don’t have as much time to read as you might think, and there are some genres I’m not interested in. I may suggest something based purely on a review.
3. Have a question about something other than a book? Bring it. We can help with background checks, genealogy research, and formatting résumés. One time, a little boy brought in a feather and was so excited when we figured out what type of bird it had come from.
4. Go ahead and make a little noise. We allow cell phones and shush people only if we hear their conversation from more than three aisles away. Certain spaces are meant for mingling, like group learning and community events.
5. As author Neil Gaiman said, “Google can bring you back 100,000 answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.” A big part of a librarian’s job used to be finding information—now much of it is sifting the reliable information from the slanted.
6. I’m really, really tired of people asking, “Are libraries obsolete?” There are more public libraries in the United States than McDonald’s restaurants—16,536, including branches—and 58 percent of American adults have library cards. Those numbers don’t even include school, government, or university libraries.
7. We never know what we’re going to find in the book drop. We’ve pulled out toys, trash, clothing, shoes, food, condoms, and even a dozen doughnuts. Once, there was a live raccoon in there.
8. A growing number of libraries are installing “makerspaces.” These labs provide materials, technologies, and tools for do-it-yourself projects. Come in and use a 3-D printer, a video-editing station, a sewing machine, or craft supplies—all free.
read the full article online…………….