Title: The Ultimate List: Our 100 best children’s books
Author: The Book Trust
Full Text & Source: http://www.booktrust.org.uk/news-and-blogs/news/222/
The Internet, Online, 16/10/2015
Book Trust transforms lives by getting children and families reading
Book Trust is the largest reading charity in the UK. We work to inspire a love of reading in children because we know that reading can transform lives. We give out over two million carefully chosen books to children throughout the UK. Every parent receives a Book Trust book in their baby’s first six months.
Our books, guidance and resources are delivered via health, library, schools and early years practitioners, and are supported with advice and resources to encourage the reading habit. Reading for pleasure has a dramatic impact on educational outcomes and well-being and social mobility, and is also a huge pleasure in itself. We are committed to starting children on their reading journey and supporting them throughout.
Book Trust impact
How Book Trust programmes have helped
Our results with disadvantaged children
85% of hard-to-reach parents feel more confident about reading
- 31% of hard-to-reach parents joined the library for their child for the first time and 17% undertook a course at their children’s centre
- Children improved their reading age by 14 months
- Over 80% of teachers say reading, writing, speaking and listening improves among four- to six-year-olds
Our results with under-5s
- Over 80% of parents who use our reading advice find it useful
- 71% from poorer backgrounds read books more often with their children
- More than 50% of families who are not already members join libraries
Our results with primary schools
- More than 95% of parents read our free books with their children and 79% say children are engaged by the books
- 69% of teachers say children enjoy reading more
- 32% of teachers say children’s literacy skills improve
- 80% of libraries say new families use their services
Our results with secondary schools
- 52% of 11-year-olds said they enjoyed reading more
- In 2014, Book Trust’s Read for My School competition saw 200,000 children reading over 850,000 books in just two months
- Book Trust introduced 67% of librarians to new books and authors
Reading for pleasure appears to be more significant for reading attainment than reading to improve reading skills and achieve results
(Schiefele and Schaffner, 2012)
The Book Trust Best Book Guide 2015 is here!
These are the best books from the past year – reviews are grouped into five different age categories:
Or download the full Book Trust Best Book Guide PDF with all age groups on our resources page.