Title: Online Resources Classics
Author: Columbia University
Full Text & Source: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/classics/resources/online.html
- Columbia Classics Resources:
- The Thesaurus Linguae Graecae
- L’anneé philologique
- The Latin Library
- Papyrology and Epigraphy
- Columbia Classics Journals Call Number List
- International medieval bibliography online
This site is fantastic and nobody seems to know about it; despite the words “medieval” and “bibliography” in the title, it contains a variety of resources that deal with classical Latin and one in particular that is a great search engine, basically like the TLG.
- Patrologia latina: the full text database
Searchable texts of late antique Christian authors, the standard or perhaps the most complete collection of Christian Latin writers for the period it covers
- The Oxford Classical Dictionary
- Oxford Dictionary of the Classical World
- The Oxford Companion to Classical Civilization
- Classics in New York City:
- Perseus The premier site for all things Greek and, to a lesser extent, Roman. Mirror site at Berlin.
- Diotima The premier site for the study of women and gender in ancient Greece and Rome. Bibliographies, images, Anthology of translated texts and more.
- Stoa A consortium for electronic publication in the Humanities, including most notably: Suda-On-Line English translation of the Suda, a 10th century Byzantine historical encyclopedia. Demos: Classical Athenian Democracy; a practical description of how the various institutions of Athenian democracy actually worked. Metis Bruce Hartzler’s collection of interactive QTVR panoramas for ancient Greek archaeological sites. And Medicina Antiqua A resource for the study of medicine in the Greek and Roman world.
- Resources on Ancient Greek from UC Berkeley Pronunciation Guide; Accentuation Drills; Vocabulary Drills; and much more.
- Ancient Greek Grammar on the Web; comprehensive and rated survey of available materials by Marc Huys, Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven, Belgium; includes page on Greek Fonts.
- What happened when? The Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Timeline of Art History.
- Pinax Online An Annotated List of Web Bibliographies on the Ancient Greek World by Marc Huys, Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven, Belgium.
- Resources on Ancient Greek Myth from UC Berkeley; also excellent collection of links organized by topic.
- Resources on Ancient Greek Religion from UC Berkeley; also excellent collection of links organized by topic.
- Hellenic History on the Internet from the Stone Age through the Modern Period from The Foundation of the Hellenic World (FHW), a non-profit cultural institution based in Athens, Greece.
- Hellenic Culture Website of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture, with sites on all of the Museums, Monuments and Archaeological Sites of Greece.
- Athenian Agora Excavations Comprehensive survey of the excavations directed by the American School of Classical Studies.
- Prehistoric Archaeology of the Aegean Jeremy B. Rutter’s lectures and illustrations. Dartmouth University.
- Interactive Dig: the Anglo-American Project in Pompeii hosted by Archaeology Magazine
- Forum Romanum Texts, translations, articles, and other pedagogical resources, including Corpus Scriptorum Latinoru.
- VRoma Online scholarly community of teachers and students who share an interest in the ancient Roman world; images, texts, history and many other resources.
- For a complete index of all the published volumes of the ANRW(Aufstieg und Niedergang der römischen Welt).
- GNOMON online for recent journal articles and book in the Classics. Type general search term under “Alle Felder” (All Fields) or specific “Autor” (Author) and hit “Suche Starten” (Start search).”
- Ancient World Mapping Center at the University of North Carolina. Cartographic resources, including a collection of free digital maps for educational use.
- The first two chapters of Homosexuality in Greece and Rome: A Sourcebook of Basic Documents, edited by Thomas K. Hubbard (University of California Press, 2003); invaluable collection of texts and images.
- Ancient Scripts Nice site by an amateur enthusiast. Check out Linear B!
- The Beazley Archive Classical Art Research Center Contains databases of classical art as well as study and reference tools.
- Theoi Project A site exploring Greek mythology and the gods in classical literature and art.
- Bryn Mawr Classical Review Reviews of new and recently published works in all fields of Classical Studies.
- Archive of Performances of Greek and Roman Drama
- The British Library Digitised Manuscripts Contains digitised versions of a quarter fo the British Museum’s Greek manuscripts.
- The Ancient World Online
- Paulys Realencyclopädie der classischen Altertumswissenschaft:
- The Digital Classicist Wiki Current List of Projects
- Electronic Archive of Greek and Latin Epigraphy This site has some good search engines for a few epigraphic corpora.
- Projekt Dyabola Literature & Object Databases
- Bibliotheca Teubneriana Latina also includes the online Thesaurus Linguae Latinae.
- The Digital Sculpture Project is devoted to studying ways in which 3D digital technologies can be applied to the capture, representation and interpretation of sculpture from all periods and cultures.
- Want more? In addition to Language, Literature, Archaeology and History, the unique and comprehensive field of Classical Studies includes the study of ancient writings on